Saturday, November 5, 2016

Rethinking Graduation Requirements

Typically I use this short blog to present a professional development opportunity to you.  This blog will be more information being presented to you.  Recently I emailed an article from the Dayton area to the HS staff about the State Board of Education saying they were going to examine one of the three new pathways to graduation.  Mainly the pathway most students will use for graduation, the 18 points earned on End Of Course Exams.

Here is a bit of a more updated article from the Columbus Dispatch.

Please take a few minutes to read the article.

Questions to Consider:

1.  Do you understand the three pathways to graduation for the class of 2018 and beyond?  If you don't, please review some of the many resources I have shared with you in the past.  Here is a good resource from ODE.
2.  If the decision is made to back off the total number of points made...what does that mean for us?  What will that allow us to do differently?
3.  What percentage of our students, do you think, in the class of 2018 are not where they need to be at this point with graduation points?  Do you think it is more or less than we would have needing to pass the OGT at this point in their careers (if that was still around).

4 comments:

  1. Ugh. I feel like the joy of teaching is slowly being sucked out of this job. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job, I really do, but the state of Ohio is testing my passion. Not only are they trying to make graduation requirements more rigorous (which I don't have a huge issue with) but for incoming teachers, passing RESA in our third year has become a dreaded task. I felt like a student all over again who had no idea whether or not I was going to pass; I was extremely confident in my submissions, but in some areas my scores were barely passing! I felt exactly how our student feel; unsure, nervous, and frustrated. Many of our kids will be able to meet the 18 points, or the passing score on the ACT/SAT, but I think that unsure feeling will still linger. The pressure is on us as well as the students because we have to push them harder to ensure their graduation, but ultimately it is a test of their knowledge. If the total points lowers, I feel like the state is sending mixed messages; students who score a 3 on all tests would have 21 points! So in curious as to where they think scores should fall. It would however allow us, and our kids, to breathe a little easier if let's say they lower the score to 15; we might be able to focus less on test materials and incorporate new and engaging lessons. I take these new changes too much to heart and know education is in a constant state of change, but I can't help but think about how in 5 years, things will be completely different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete