Saturday, November 26, 2016

Control What We Can Control

I will not dive into the world of politics.  I think that noting good comes of me trying to do that.  I will admit that I am intrigued by change (as many of you know).  Watching this change in power and development of a new administration in Washington is a marvelous process to me (no matter who is in charge).

Here is an article about the appointment of Betsy DeVos.  I knew nothing about her but through my PLN (professional learning network (Twitter, Facebook), I have learned more than I want to know about her.  Just because, no specific reason.

All of the negativity from public school officials regarding this appointment got me thinking.  We have the opportunity to impact our kids everyday.  My chance of impacting her or the position she was assigned is pretty minimal.  So, I suggest...we control what we can control.

Please read this short article from Jon Gordon about Controlling what you can control.


Questions To Consider:

1.  How can we model, as adults, this attitude of "controlling what you can control" to our students?

2.  How can we respond to students that have big opinions about a political race or other social situations?

3.  I would encourage you to use what Jon Gordon has to say about complaining in your classroom:
"Complaining about something you can't control is a waste of energy, focus and time."

3 comments:

  1. It's easy to complain; when something doesn't go our way, of course we become frustrated and want others to know about it! However, our attitude is everything in these situations, especially when we are in the presence of students. I try to teach students that if they are unhappy with how something has played out, they need to reflect on it and figure out how to fix it. Being someone with a sense of humor, my complaints tend to just fill the awkward silence sometimes; I even think I complain because others are! I also poke at the kids and imitate complaints that they might have which lightens things a little bit. Students sre quick to moan and groan about doing work, but if they are fully told their expectations, reasons for completing the work, and the outcome, I've noticed far less noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should consider your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should consider your own blog.

    ReplyDelete