Saturday, October 28, 2017

Rick Wormeli- Growth Mindset


Here is Rick Wormeli.  Mr. Wormeli is someone that we have looked at before.  We might have even looked at this video before.

Below you see the break down of what he talks about in this video.  Though I share many of his views, I feel he could more eloquently share his thoughts.   Even though, it is worth a watch as we move into our further discussions of a growth mindset and mastery learning.

Don't be offended by his words if they vary from yours.  That is not my intention.  I want you to hear what he says about growth mindset.

Growth Mindset discussion minutes 2-6
Discussion of redos/retakes minutes 6-9





1.  He uses the phrase (paraphrasing) "We will not put that (apathetic) student in charge of their own learning."  What does that mean to you?  Can you think of a student like that?


2.  Mr. Wormeli talks interestingly about the phrase "failure is not an option."  What do you think about that?


3.  How do redos and retakes play into the growth mindset?



2 comments:

  1. To not write a book, I thought I would just comment on #3 because its something I'm really thinking about/trying out this year. This can be a hard/tricky topic. I often give Exit Slips as assignments at the end of topics covered. This year, I decided to make them totally redo-able if turned back in the day after I hand them back. Are kids who get better grades on them the first time around resentful? Actually no, because they are usually "better" students and are glad for the opportunity to correct little mistakes. Do the kids who totally blow them off want to redo them at all? No. Which is why I started instituting the ICU system if they failed them. They HAVE to redo them. Its been an interesting experiment, but so far, I have learned a couple things: 1. Yes, it IS more work on my part. 2. My "apathetic" students start to understand quickly that they HAVE to learn the material, either the hard and long way, or take it as seriously as they can the first time. I was pleasantly surprised last week when I gave a particularly hard one and finally didn't have to have anyone redo it. That is not normal, and I attribute it at to a mindset of "Okay, she's gonna make me do this the hard way so I might as well do my best now" that is more and more developing in my classroom. I'm finding that this thought is a big part of what a "growth mindset" practically looks like in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be encouraged by your results. The road is long. Thanks for giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete