Saturday, February 11, 2017

#1 Relationships

Recently, I saw this video.

I am guessing that some of you have seen this video clip.

Relationships are the most important part of the learning environment. If you or a student doesn't want to be somewhere or with someone, the result is not going to be positive.

We have the chance, daily, to establish and foster these relationships with our students. Some great times to do this is during class, while in the hallways and PATS.

Questions To Consider:

1. We all know people that fit into both of those categories in that video. What separates the groups, beyond attitude?
2. Does watching the video make you think about some of your practices? Does it make you think about some of your colleagues, friends or others that you might want to show this to?
3. On soo many levels this video has meaning. I would encourage you to take a look at it when things are going bad.


3 comments:

  1. I think the biggest separation is passion; if you aren't passionate about what you are teaching, then you won't be passionate about the why either. Many of my friends dislike their jobs, and they've only been working for 2-4 years. They complain constantly about waking up early, their horrible co-workers, etc., and sometimes I find myself jumping in to complain about pieces of my job as well. BUT, I love what I do, I love working with high school students, and above all, I love English. I want to make a difference in the lives of students, but I want to do that in the English content area; I think it's easier to look at negatives because for me, I am usually a pretty positive person. Talking about the negatives is easier because they pop out more than the positives as they occur without me even realizing it. Also, Jordan is so adorable and such an enthusiastic little kid, if he greeted me every day in that way, I think my day would be that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one difference between the groups is that the second group consciously understands that their small interaction can make a big impact. I think this year I've understood more than ever the impact that something small like saying each students name and looking them in the eye once a day makes. I know that sounds silly, like duh, I should say their names, but I think more often than not, unless we consciously attempt to interact or say something to each kid, some (especially quieter) kids can make it through an entire day or week without really being recognized or having much interaction. How sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to respond and give your opinions. The small comments to do matter.

    ReplyDelete