Saturday, April 8, 2017

Advice On Being A Love Magnet

Within the last week, I read a newsletter from Jon Gordon that I knew that I was going to write in our blog about.

This newsletter from Jon Gordon was about being a "Love Magnet."  In reading the article, it is mostly based on the business world.  But in reading it, it felt like we could apply some of the principles to the world we live in.

I would encourage you to take a look at the article here.

Questions To Consider:

1.  The first suggestion is to "tap the power of now."  That is really difficult for us because we are all caught up in (fill in the blank).  How can you tap the power of now?  How can you make sure that the power of now is tapped?

2.  Recognizing people for their accomplishments is such an easy thing to do.  I am thankful for the good news postcards that you write for our students.  Please continue to do that.  Do you have any further suggestions how we can recognize our student's accomplishments?

3.  What ways to you demonstrate being a Love Magnet?  Is this something that you can take advantage of?

4 comments:

  1. (The link wouldn't work, so here is the article I looked at? Thinking it's the right one http://www.jongordon.com/positivetip/love-magnet.html)

    I think that our attitude and how we come across to students sets their tone not only for our classroom, but in the school. I think it is important to listen to the success of the students, but it's equally important to share our successes as well. If we complain constantly and don't show the students that we have positives in life, then they start to think that same way. Overall, the term "love magnet" is a little weird; I feel like it's something I would hear on an early morning cartoon. But I like the idea of becoming a positive model and really being in the present to listen, not just hear, others around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the power of now. I'm guilty of not really being present or not really listening. Whether it's because I'm busy remembering what I have to do next or because I'm trying to speed things up. One thing I've worked on the past few years is not interrupting people. I think the next step is to really listen without thinking about what I'm going to say next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is absolutely true that if you care about your employees/students, they will "work longer and harder for your cause" - not that this is the only reason to do so (its the right thing to do). As far as being a Love-Magnet, I really like "Love is demonstrated through service". If I look at it that way, going the extra mile to help a student whether or not they "deserve" it or have "earned it" becomes more of a joyful thing rather than a begrudging thing, and I think that is very noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered if anyone would comment on the "love magnet" wording of the article purpose.

    ReplyDelete