Sunday, December 18, 2016

"You Go Home A Loser"

Recently the woman's basketball coach at Louisville went on a rant about millennials and their unwillingness to compete.  Here is about 3 mins of the press conference he had after a loss.  As the press conference got more and more attention, I heard more and more people talking about it.

I knew I wanted to write about it but I wasn't really sure how.  This is what I landed on.

I think his topic of conversation has direct impact on what we do in education and for us locally at PHHS.

Here are the reasons I believe that to be true:
1.  We work directly with millennials or whatever they are being called this generation
2.  We work directly with this generation he says gets a trophy for everything
3.  We work with this generation that has more unique social emotional needs than any other in our history
4.  We work with this generation that will define our future
5.  We work with this generation that needs to be cared for and loved
6.  We work with this generation that hasn't completely mastered skills like resiliency and learning how to lose.
7.  Many other reasons that I have not listed.

Questions to Consider:

1.  I agree with some of what this coach said.  Really think about the short video clip....what strikes you?  How can it help you in your classroom?
2.  Students are more unique than ever.  Though handing out "trophies" to all so they aren't offended is not going to work, we have a more unique obligation to care about our students and their "feelings."  How does that impact negative/positive your classroom?  How can it be a positive or cause you to grow professionally?
3.  Resiliency is a great asset for adults and students alike.  I believe this is the biggest lacking characteristic for our students.  What do you think is the most lacking characteristic?  How can we help to build that?

4 comments:

  1. Resiliency is definitely lacking! Ability to handle adversity has been lost for sure. I loved the video in how it applies to my coaching position, but its application to work ethic, competitive attitude, ability to handle criticism is all a part of the challenge we face working with kids today. I'm going to share this with my players. Thanks, Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel this is worse with parents than the students. With past generations, students got their rear ends chewed at home for failure in whatever it was. Now, parents would rather complain to teachers, principals, or anyone willing (or forced) to listen about how Johnny/Suzie did the same amount of work but got a lesser grade/score/honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked the video as well; with my freshmen, they don't get that you don't always get an A. I gave them an example: I spend all summer working out and practicing basketball. My parents spend hundreds of dollars to make me the best and I work insanely hard all day every day, then tryouts come. And I play, and every person out there is just naturally better than me. The coach has to cut someone and I'm probably the one going. Is that "fair"? And overwhelmingly they all say no! You worked hard! You should play! But they don't understand that sometimes hard work doesn't guarantee a win, or an A, or a spot on the team. I want to instill a work ethic in them, but they know that no matter how long it takes them to finish a paper/assignment, it's not going to be perfect, so they give half the effort because they essentially get a "you tried trophy" or in my room, a revision opportunity. I don't know how to instill the drive to do and be better. But it definitely is something our entire high school student body suffers from, and like the video said, it starts before we get them, maybe even at home, so how do WE fix that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the answer to how we instill resiliency in our students. I think we just keep living life with them and use experiences as they come to help in the process.

    ReplyDelete